Haslington Parish Council is required to have a Website Accessibility Statement in accordance with the “Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018”, which came into force in September 2018.
Scope of Statement
This accessibility Statement covers just the Haslington Parish Council website. (https://www.haslington.org/).
This website is run by Haslington Parish Council for all residents in the Parish of Haslington. We want as many people as possible to be able to use our website. For example, that means they should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We have also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How Accessible this Website Is
We know some parts of our website are not fully accessible:
- Large numbers of older images do not have alternative text that can be read by screen readers.
- Some older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software.
We recognise that our website is not yet fully compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, but our aim is to meet the required standards with all future published items. Regarding the historical items, we would appreciate hearing from anyone who is experiencing accessibility problems to help us target specific areas.
Feedback and Contact Information
If you need information on this website in a format that is easier to read, or if you wish to report accessibility problems with this website, please contact the Parish Clerk:
call [phone number]
We will consider your request and get back to you within 7 days.
Technical Information About this Website’s Accessibility
Haslington Parish Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
We have installed an accessibility menu which is obtained by clicking the accessibility menu icon that appears in the top right corner of every page shortly after the website loads. This has the following features:
- Keyboard Navigation – To improve visibility of the cursor location when navigating using the keyboard tab key etc.
- Screen Reader – To listen to the content using a built-in screen reader. The text to be read is selected using the mouse.
- Contrast – The display contrast and colours can be changed with four different settings.
- Highlight Links – The hyperlinks become more clearly visible.
- Bigger Text – To increase the text size.
- Text Spacing – The distance between words can be increased.
- Pause Animation – We do not normally use animations in our website so it is unlikely that this will be required.
- Dyslexia Friendly – Changes some font characters, so they become less likely to be misinterpreted or misread.
- Cursor – Increases the size of mouse cursor and can also make a horizontal reading line available.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Testing this Website
This website is tested regularly. We aim to test every publication at the time of its release using the “Wave” Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool and where appropriate the “PAC” PDF Accessibility Checker. Please let us know if you experience any problems by contacting the Parish Clerk using the above contact details.
Preparation of this Accessibility Statement
This statement was prepared on 15th September 2020